Healing properties of castor oil squeezed from castor seeds have been known for a long time, as well as its ability to strengthen hair. Is this information worth being trusted or should we look for something more effective?
Ingredients and properties of castor oil
Castor oil contains a lot of acid glycerides, most of all ricinoleic (at 90%), and also oleic and linoleic acid.
Even though castor oil doesn’t taste great, it is full of minerals, vitamins (especially vitamin E), Omega-6 and Omega-9.
An excessive amount of ricinoleic acid makes castor oil thick and viscous. This is one of the few products that can be applied on hair in pure form, rather than using mixtures. Castor oil rarely causes allergies or irritation.
Castor oil properties:
- antifungal (fight against dandruff).
True or false
More likely it is true. In most of the cases, castor oil provides a complex healing effect on the hair and scalp. It will make your hair healthy and strong.
However, we shouldn’t forget that everyone might have an individual reaction to this remedy. It is quite possible if one your friends would be amazed by the effectiveness of the castor oil when the other one would be skeptical and disappointed after using it for a year without any noticeable results.
After all, the key to successful treatment is finding the best method for yourself or a combination of several.
Using a pure castor oil
- Castor oil can be applied to the hair in its pure form. Since it’s very dense, it won’t be easy to apply it (as well as wash off). You can reheat the oil in warm water for easier application.
- Divide your hair into several zones with a help of clips, elastic bands etc. Drip a castor oil on the roots of every zone and massage your skin, gradually spreading the oil from the roots to the tips of your hair.
- When all the hair, especially the roots, are covered in oil, wrap your head with a film, wear a shower cap or a towel and keep it on for about an hour.
- You might need to use shampoo for several times to rinse the castor mask off.
- For the better effect mask should be applied regularly, as a treatment course, twice a week during several months.
Castor oil in mixtures
The combination of castor oil with other liquid vegetable oils will make the application and rinse easier. Other oils might add extra healing effect to castor oil properties. There is a big variety of natural and healthy oils to choose from – coconut, olive, argan oil, jojoba oil, wheat germ, avocado, etc.
What else can you mix castor oil with:
- essential oils;
- onion juice or pulp;
- lemon juice;
- flesh of aloe;
- coconut milk;
- tincture of red pepper;
- fenugreek seeds paste.
If oil doesn’t help
It is possible that castor oil wouldn’t work for you and won’t give any result. In this case, you need to visit a trichologist or a dermatologist (if you haven’t done it yet). You should discuss all possible methods of treatment including natural remedies.
Try not to focus only on natural therapy. Some other methods, for example, low-level laser therapy can be perfectly combined with natural remedies and oils. Laser therapy is healing your hair from the inside, enhancing the blood circulation and skin metabolism. This type of treatment is clinically proven.
In reality, not only castor oil or other home-made remedies will be good for you.The most important factor is you taking a proper care for your hair. At some point, your hair will appreciate all your efforts glowing with beauty and shine.