Many women who have just become mothers and are still breastfeeding experience some hair loss. This is a normal process, which will slow down on its own. However, you can help strengthen your hair and prevent it from excessively falling out.
What should you do to help your hair recovery?
- Take care of your hair. The right treatment can decrease hair loss that was likely caused by changes in your hormonal balance.
- Wash your hair regularly. Soft shampoo and conditioner can prevent hair from damage and loss. Depending on the length of the hair, the frequency of washes can vary, sometimes needed every day. However, don’t forget that it’s important to not overdo it. Carefully wash your hair without rubbing, and then gently wipe with a towel. Don’t twist your towel into a ”turban” because it will add extra pressure on your hair and might damage the hair follicles.
- Protect your hair by applying conditioner along the entire length after every shower to make them look moisturized, healthy, and shiny. You can also use different oils (coconut, argan). Consult your doctor before use.
- Dry your hair carefully with a hair dryer or towel. If you decide to use a dryer, then use it on the low temperature mode. If you are using towel, make sure it`s made from a soft material.
- Don’t comb your hair too often and do it very gently. This will help to avoid breakage. Don’t comb right after the shower – let your hair dry for a little bit. Use hair conditioner to make combing easier.
- Most women use large amounts of hair styling products, and different devices like flat irons and curlers, which can negatively impact hair. Tight braids and tails also damage hair, which is why it’s better to not wear them every day. It is enough to pull your hair into a loose bun so it won’t bother you and your baby. You should avoid dying your hair, or getting high-lights or hair extensions during the period of breastfeeding, since your hair is already weak.
- Massage your scalp. It will speed up blood circulation and stimulate the absorption of nutrients that make our hair stronger. Massages also fortify hair follicles that prevent hair breakage.
- Use lavender oil. It stimulates hair growth and strengthens it. It’s enough to rub it into your scalp once a day. You can buy it in almost every store.
- Eat a balanced diet. It is not only good for your hair, but also for the health of a new mother. Balanced nutrition impacts all systems of our body. Protein is needed for hair growth. You can find in eggs, meat, nuts, and dairy products. Iron also fortifies your hair – red meat, broccoli, and lentils are rich in this element. Vitamin C helps iron absorption, which is why we need to eat oranges, strawberries, and blueberries.Red fish, avocado, and pumpkin are good sources of Omega-3. It moisturizes the skin on the head, which is very important. Whole grains, oysters, and beef should be included in your diet as a source of zinc, which is necessary for normal hair growth.
- In some cases you need to take extra vitamin supplements because they are needed not only for hair growth, but for the health of every breastfeeding mother. However, before taking any vitamins, you should consult your doctor. Sometimes all you need is a well-balanced diet.
How to discover and prevent excessive hair loss after pregnancy?
- You need to see a doctor. If you notice increased and unusual hair loss and you feel worried about it, you should visit the doctor to check if you have a hormonal disorder, which can cause hair loss. Specialists will help you with a treatment that will be safe for you and your baby.
- Accept the situation. You need to understand that postpartum hair loss is a normal process. During pregnancy, estrogen levels are very high, but after delivery, they decrease abruptly which can be stressful for your body. After some time, your hormone levels will go back to normal and the problem is solved by itself.
- Be patient. Breast feeding mothers should understand that hair loss will be resolved after 6-12 months, and for now, all you can do is experiment with new haircuts and hair styles.
- Create a new look. Try to wear a new hairstyle to make your hair loss less obvious. You don’t need to cut off your favorite locks. All you need to do is have a multilevel hair cut, which will add desirable volume to your hair.